Question about dividends for experienced traders

1. 63 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8
    Hi,

I have a question, and i was hoping some of the more experienced holders / traders can help me with. I believe i probably already know the answer to it but i wanted to check first. Im fairly new to shares, and by new i mean ive been messing around with shares for about 5 years now with mixed results. Now im concentrating on the bigger companies and buying on weakness, bad press etc. and holding for the long term, intending to buy on weekness across the basket i own.

Currently i own TLS, WBC, EVN, BHP, SHL and im looking at ORG today and also IVC.

Anyways my question is, i am currently subscribed to all of the DRP (dividend reinvestment plans) with the respecting companies share registries, and i have since had a light bulb moment that im probably better off receiving all the dividends in cash, and investing that in the good companies currently showing the most weakness etc. rather than re-investing in stocks which are potentially a bit dear.

If anybody could give me some pro's and cons of both scenarios and point me in the right direction. Real estate has been my main game for some time now and im diversifying into shares, had a small business, made some money, bought houses, now taken a job in the army to get that steady cash flow and lock in my business gains, im planning to save into the asx and let it grow, and continue to buy more houses.

Any help would be appreciated.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.