Question for climate change proteters., page-134

1. 43,055 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 642
    I understand you point debono... The latest polls I've seen show that more than 70% of the Aus population agree that global warming is occurring and the science is indeed "settled"... there are only a few (3%+/- scientists who disagree according the IPCC) with mathematics providing a sound underpinning of the modelling and direct observations of the climbing average temperature of the planet atmosphere at 1% above the average for the last 125 years. The period before 1975 is quite stable with aberrations clearly related to WW2 and a few smaller shifts. The period after 1975 shows a clear rise in average temperatures.

The big problem that many who deny the science is the early modelling. I've always recognised that computer modelling cannot take into account all variables and chaos theory needs to be included (the "flapping of the wings of a butterfly in the Amazon" can be shown to change modelling from a placid Miami day to a hurricane).

Yet there is a sound reason to apply there word "denialism" to those who reject the science... never mind the pejorative connotations to Holocaust deniers... that's just rhetorical garbage. It is a term that is literally correct.

The words "alarmist", "cultist" and others apply to those who accept the disinformation that the coal co.s have used to discredit the global warming phenomenon. They have been alarmed that their business model is falling out of fashion and they have engendered a cult of denial of scientific evidence. A cult is a group which believes with blind faith, unquestioned and lacking evidence, that they are right and all others are wrong. It is a populist belief paradigm that denies logic, reason and evidence. Therefore this doesn't apply to people who accept the scientific evidence.

I would be delighted if all concerned could stop the angst that causes so much ridicule and abuse, trolling and misinformation. Yet it is a problem here in Aus and the US... the rest of the world, even the Indian and Chinese Govts, accepts the science and many have taken action to reduce their emissions and made the necessary adaptations to alternative energy sources.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.