question for lapsed christians, page-43

1. 576 Posts.
    Snuff""Do you feel better for not participating in the life of the Church?" Will change church to religion

YES, My beliefs are my own, i'm not a follower of an insular organisation who dictates my beliefs or morals.

asteroider Good points nothing to add on those & trevally90

i agree as well especially "Religious people make it quite clear that they put their God first and their fellow man second. To me a dangerous separation from humanity that we see the results of nightly in the news."

only thing i would add to their views on sex is the ongoing exposure of rape Of kiddies & the cover ups & protection of its members. Others have mentioned morals being a christian domain or a christian teaching, their is no worse crime than sex crimes against kiddies & the people that hushed it up should be tried & Gaoled as well

Olesarge "its an instruction manual to the way of life, hygeign, wellbeing and best behaviour."

on the koran or any religious text the reality is religion is not required to acheive any of that

Michalefranzs comments also raise the spectre of why i dislike all religion, indoctrination of children & those of feeble minds.
    I can let people believe in any religion or fairies & i will not impinge on their beliefs, sadly they regularly impinge on my non belief as an aetheist, be it their indoctrination in public schools or making decisions in parliament based on the belief sysyem
    1) christian groups such as fred nile & his followers, family first & their followers have infiltrated parliament.
    2)Hillsong is a billion dollar organisation who pays its leaders & their families exorbinant wages whilst using the practice of tithing,to basically extort money from their followers whilst receiving taxation benefits from the government as a religion, whilst they run a chain of coffee shops that no business without religious tax benefits could run
    3) As has been mentioned by several on this forum the belief that my religion is superior
    4)selectively using one passage from your holy book & rejecting another is comical
    5)Most of the current religions were stolen & shaped to form what you see now from long forgotten religions

Play2Win will add to your comments about "But my self, who does not attend church and follows and practices a very moral life but doesn't announce on my death bed will go to hell."
    My son is not baptised he is going to hell based on these archaic beliefs what a great social institution.

Snuff"Several years ago a scientific study into methods to control HIV/Aids was published in Science. They concluded the two most useful ways of reducing the spread of the disease was to cut down the number of sexual partners and circumcision of males. Condoms did not get a look in."

PLEASE State link so i can review as this is absurd, Dr Malcolm Potts, inventor of the lubricated condom with spermicide your link did not provide any of your quotes, plus as dogby stated what about the women, also feel free to provide peer reviews on the subject.

Snuff "Finally, who do you think looks after all those suffering HIV/AIDS? The Church, it is by far the most active and biggest organization looking after these people."

Maybe http://www.msf.org.au/about-msf.html, M?decins Sans Fronti?res not a religious organisation, surf aids another in a different part of the world

The aetheists could do much the same & i believe more effectively if the governments of the world would give us the same tax benefits religions acheived

Snuff you outed yourself as a god botherer, a good thread though for discussion & if this aetheist can save someone from the clutches of indoctrinated belief, your thread has been served well my child

As your quotes about AIDS are from your source http://www.sciencemag.org/ International weekly science journal, published by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).here is more info

Mission Statement

AAAS established the Program of Dialogue on Science, Ethics, and Religion (DoSER) in 1995 to facilitate communication between scientific and religious communities.
    The objectives of the Dialogue are to:

Contribute to the level of scientific understanding in religious communities.
    Promote multidisciplinary education and scholarship of the ethical and religious implications of advancements in science and technology.

Questions of meaning and religion emerge from our deepening understanding of the natural order. Issues of value and meaning are grounded in the disciplines of ethics and religion. The scientific community needs to be in dialogue with both fields in order to understand the cultural context within which science operates and to respond to the societal issues opened up by scientific discovery and technological development. AAAS provides a uniquely credible forum for that engagement because of its disciplinary breadth.

To fulfill its mission, DoSER engages in a variety of activities that seek to:

Encourage an appreciation among scientists, religious leaders and religion scholars of the ethical, religious and theological implications of scientific discoveries and technological innovations.
    Promote and facilitate scholarship on the ethical, religious and theological implications of contemporary scientific discoveries and technological innovations.
    Improve the level of scientific understanding in religious communities.
    Increase the engagement of scientific communities in the dialogue on science, ethics, and religion.
    Facilitate collaboration among scientists, ethicists, and religion scholars and leaders to address critical multidisciplinary issues related to science, ethics and religion.
    Further public understanding of the dialogue on science, ethics, and religion

HMMMM a quasi religious/scientific organisation looking for credibility, nothing they produce will ever be in a mainstream scientific journal.

PEACE

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.