Yes, and after all, we were supposedly given free will, no?....

1. 18,950 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 171
    Yes, and after all, we were supposedly given free will, no?. Arguably that was greatest gift of all *if* there was any being to give it. I would not give that up just to get into a "heaven" of subservience.

Now the following is NOT meant to cause offense, but it is my view so I will state it:

IMO those willing to prostrate themselves in active participation in any religion are more likely to exhibit a degree of one of: naive, narrow-minded, overwhelmed by life, in denial about their life or lacking their own moral compass.

I don't bedgrudge them their right to "practise" religion, just as they should not begrudge me the right not to.

As long the religious acolytes keep their noses out of government, which I prefer to be secular, and don't try to impose their beliefs on other members of society who are not doing anyone or anything any harm by living their "unrighteous" lives, I think we can all get along until judgement day.

I think the early churches did a good job of knitting cohesive societies together in a time of fractures villages, superstition and a need to make men serve the king and country in fear of hellfire and brimstone.

But I think that as the average IQ has risen around the world (I HOPE it has, but I do wonder when I step into the malls!); and people recognized that everything on this planet is an interconnected web of life and that we all have a duty of care to everything, then a man in a pulpit threatening eternal damnation is not required to make people get up off their arses and be good global citizens.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.