SGH 0.00% 54.5¢ slater & gordon limited

Happy to run numbers... For reference - the model is here:...

1. 417 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    Happy to run numbers...

For reference - the model is here: https://hotcopper.com.au/threads/turning-the-ship-around.3351954/#.WVLnhxN94UE

There are some key inputs that feed into it - Revenue and Margin are critical (as what you are really getting with equity is a share in future profits).

Potential future revenue and margins have been done to death on this forum - ranging from the heroic ($800M @ 15%) to current (~$680M @ -28%) - and will likely fall somewhere between these extremes. The capitalisation of interest and additional $40M loan at end of March suggests to me that this half's figures are more likely to be "lukewarm" at best - however the basic business is sound and without the debt burden and some restructuring, I expect them to eventually get back to somewhere around 7-12% margin.

For the sake of this calculation, I have used $700M @ 10% margin. I think this is optimistic in the short term, but achievable longer term. I'm trying to get the best possible outcome for your 50% @Braintot!

You also need to consider what would be a fair "risk weighting" to apply to "risky" equity vs. "guaranteed" debt. It is very unlikely that someone would value $1 of debt as highly as $1 of equity.

Put simply - for every $100M in debt, the lenders would already be receiving interest @ say 5% = $5M.

So - if they exchange that $100M debt with a guaranteed $5M interest payment for equity, then they are swapping it for $xM in future dividends - which come from Revenue and Margins. Because Revenue and Margins are not guaranteed, a risk weighting will be applied to the debt - so $1 of debt would typically be exchanged for more than $1 of equity.

To arrive at a "fair and reasonable" risk multiple:
    Cash funds are delivering 2.5% return and ASX-300 index funds are returning 10.5%, so this suggests a little over 4x risk multiple (at the lowest risk end of the ASX).

Anchorage have a guaranteed 5% interest return and SGH are arguably at the riskiest end of the investment spectrum.

However, let's use the most generous risk weighting of 4x - indicating that SGH has the same risk profile of an ASX-300 index fund.

Based on these assumptions:
    Revenue: $700M
    Margin: 10%
    Risk weight: 4x

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5
    0       Calculation Explanation
    1 Revenue A 700   projected future revenue
    2 Margin (%) B 10.0%   Expected margin
    3 Profit C 70 = A x B = Revenue x Margin
    5 Debt swapped 'M D 250   How much debt will they swap
    6 Interest rate on debt E 3.5%   What is the interest rate on the debt
    7 Interest foregone (M) F 8.75 = D x E = How much interest they forego
    9 Risk weighting G 4   What multiple should we use to reflect additional risk
    10 Risk-weighted return (M) H 35 = F x G Therefore - what they need to make
    12 %age equity required I 50.00%   = Risk-weighted return divided by Profit
    13 Remaining % current shareholders J 50.00% = 1 - I 100% less %equity required to deliver the risk-weighted return
    15 Current shares on issue (M) K 375    
    16 New shares on issue (M) L 375 =(K / J) - K How many new shares they need to issue to hit their equity required
    18 Issue price M $0.667 = D / L = Debt swapped divided into New shares issued

This suggests that they would be swapping $250M (of the $800M owed) for 50% of the equity - at a D4E valuation of $0.667.

Note: If you use a higher risk weighting, then you end up swapping less debt - so at a risk weighting of 5x, you only swap $200M of debt @ $0.533.

Personally, I am not convinced that $200M-$250M would put enough of a dent into the $810M debt pile to get SGH back to a solvent footing - those interest payments would still be taking a huge chunk out of cashflow - though it might well suit the debt holders to retain the lion's share of the less risky debt, milk it for a few years and then flick it.

I guess we shall see...

Hope this helps

Steve

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SGH (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.