Rabbits V Bulldogs, page-159

1. 22,698 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 7
    This rule is no different to the "dangerous position" rule in a tackle and the shoulder charge rule. It's all about prevention. If a player knows that going past the horizontal in a tackle could end up with a penalty they will be more mindful/aware. As a result it negates the risk of serious injury to the kneck. More often than not player don't mean to get players past the horizontal but this makes no difference to the refs. The same rule applies to making contact with a kicker in a vulnerable position. It is irrelevant whether u mean to or not. The resulting impact with the players knee is no different to putting a plYer past the horizontal. It must be a penalty. I have no issue with protecting players' kneck a and knees where possible.

Nfl players are very much aware of this rule and have adjusted their charge down technique to not launch straight towards the kicker or to be very mindful of how they land.

I do get frustrated with the sanitising of the game but I cant stand to look at a player getting buckled at the knee in one leg. It's a horrific sight.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.