MSB 1.34% $1.51 mesoblast limited

RAT Designation, page-13

1. 16,933 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8394
    "Ok, so MNK's answers seem underwhelming to you. So please explain and enlighten me as to how exactly they are underwhelming. Be objective please.
    And stay on point while you are at it. As in, not bringing up Chanos' past history regarding Enron, etc. Keep it to MNK."

The comments of MSB's potential partner, MNK, are underwhelming because - they make no reference to Chanos's overarching concern about MNK's annualised Operating Earnings of just $300m [*], having to support the company's debt position of $8bn.

And its not just some followers of the MSB-MNK debate who appear to be underwhelmed; the capital market, in general, appears similarly underwhelmed, judging by MNK's share price overnight finishing right at its low point for the day, a level which also corresponds to a new record low for the stock.

[*] Actually, Chanos is being a bit disingenuous in quoting an annualised Operating Profit figure of $300m for MNK, because he's really using a figure that includes several non-recurring items (MNK's MQ,2017 Reported Op. Profit was $90m, but that included $69m of restructuring charges, $17m on asset writedowns , $59m profit on asset sale and $8m of "other costs" booked below the line.)

Adjusting the reported result for all of these, you get a quarterly Operating Profit figure of $110m, i.e., $440m, annualised.)

But even on this "far-more-generous- than-Chanos" approach, that's $440m of Operating Profit, less $$370m of annual interest expense, i.e, $70m of Pre-Tax Profit... supporting an $8bn debt load.

One can do the math on that in terms of the debt payback period.
    (It exceeds 100 years).

That not-so-small-fiscal-challenge, I think, should have been addressed in the response from MNK (although what the solution is, I cannot fathom... maybe that's why they chose to simply not talk about it.)

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MSB (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.