Interesting article in the AFR about industry fund liquidity due...

1. 9,677 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 335
    Interesting article in the AFR about industry fund liquidity due to withdrawals, essentially saying if they are in such a situation they are not acting in the best 'long term' interests of members and they are 'not consistent with more experienced asset managers'.

One thing I can reflect on being a trustee of an SMSF is that my investments have never been to to get the highest possible return so I never get annual returns of over 10%, however my aim is to cover my ongoing expenses in retirement so my strategy doesn't involve illiquid risky assets, so I only get a 5% return pa. but that's OK it's all I need. So many in the finance advisor sector suggested they could get me over 15% pa but I rejected their advice as pure folly and overt exuberance. It just adds weight to the fact if you are managing your own money it becomes a very personal challenge to preserve your capital, if your a large fund it's not your money and losses don't matter as long as you get your paycheck every week.

I hope the view around SMSF will change and stop the big industry super funds bitching about them all the time.

https://www.copyright link/companie...ns-of-super-fund-moral-hazard-20200401-p54g1c

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.