PLS 1.29% $3.15 pilbara minerals limited

Whenever I get too desperate of the current prices I revisit my...

1. 273 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 209
    Whenever I get too desperate of the current prices I revisit my investment reasoning for Lithium.

Today:  VOLUME 1. - General demand for Lithium

Thesis: Exponential growth in Lithium demand due to its use in EV batteries. (Extra demand possible due to battery use in energy storage)

Reality check on demand:

Are EV sales growing? (Initial assumption 40%YoY growth implying a doubling of sales every two years)

Total EV sales worldwide 2017:  1.2M
    Total EV sales worldwide 2018: likely around 2.0 M (>60% YoY growth)

China and US markets on track for 70-80% YoY growth. In several months even sustaining that growth in overall shrinking car market.

Europe YoY EV sales growth likely only <20% due to specific European topics. I am still bullish about 2019 with Tesla and several volume models arriving to the market and German carmakers finally pushing towards EV.

Additional demand growth factors:
    1. Commercial transport (Trucks, buses, ferries, delivery Vans) are seeing a push towards electrification.
    2. Sales growth is mainly towards pure BEV and not to hybrids. That results in a larger average battery size.
    3. Average battery size on pure EV is increasing too.
    Conclusion: Demand due to EV sales exceeds my initial optimistic assumption by far.

On the energy storage side it is harder to get good numbers. I would appreciate any help to get better data input. Anecdotal evidence from solar installers and some light house projects (Tesla in AUS and Tesla gas peaker replacement in California) indicate a very fast growing demand on that front.

While it seems clear that Li-Ion is the best battery chemistry for cars, I do not have the same confidence for energy storage. I think Li-Ion is getting a head start in that sector due to the availability of Li-Ion batteries and their falling cost due to the cumulative volume of batteries produced. Long term (past 2025) another battery chemistry might take over a bigger part of the storage market.

My outlook on total demand for the next 10 years is extremely bullish.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PLS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$3.15
Change
0.040(1.29%)
Mkt cap ! $9.480B
Open High Low Value Volume
$3.16 $3.18 $3.12 $71.90M 22.82M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
3 112482 $3.15

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$3.16 320783 6
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 25/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
PLS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.