Hi Find8 Sorry to say, but your 250 pips are not guaranteed with...

1. 3,992 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 132
    Hi Find8
    Sorry to say, but your 250 pips are not guaranteed with a standard stop loss, and its important to remember
    when dealing in leveraged instruments you run the risk of margin calls and even close out when the price gap's due to "black swan” events such as the ones you mentioned.
    If price gap occurs that is beyond your stop, the stop is activated BUT! you will get the next best price, (think of it as having morphed into a market order ..it’s no longer pending)
    So worse case scenario, your stop of 250 pips misses getting hit as the USD price plummets or skyrockets past your intended stop price, then your broker needs to find the next closest match ... with HFT bots and just the shear scale of the forex pool, every man and his dog that had stops or orders in front of your stop loss gets matched first theoretically that means you could be looking at waiting for anything from 251 to 251000 pips before a match is found, once found the trade is made and your left asking ...WhyTheFace?
    Remember you/we are dealing with leverage,(forex,CFD’s ect) as opposed to shares ..... Again worse case scenario, if you account does not hold sufficient funds it would cause not just margin call but ultimately closeout, and you could end up having to fund the account short fall if it gets overdrawn.

(Now Just so I don’t freak people out ......what i wrote is just absolute worse case, rarely ever, almost never, only sometimes every now and then when it’s a blue moon rising over Uranus type scenarios )
    IMO It’s easy to keep Uranus from being kicked .... I favour Good Money management ...Simply trading to your account size be it via the use of micro or minnie lots as opposed to standard, having sensible risk reward ratios and keeping greed! in check

Almost forgot !! .... There are "market maker" brokers that offer guaranteed stop loss prices but you pay a hefty premium for the service even if the trade is a winner and stop is not hit, it’s basically trade! insurance.
    IMO massive black swan events and 2000+ pips gaps that would warrant using the service are so rare the brokers are just making easy money from gullible retail traders ....

Thats it from me Cheers ..... & green pips all round .. J

ps: AU .... 0.85 by weeks end (Just IMO of cause)

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.