I have come across a few very hard working, honest and reliable...

1. 217 Posts.
    I have come across a few very hard working, honest and reliable real estate agents over the last 10 years since I have been investing in property. Today I heard an agent say something I / we know they do all the time. What I found bizarre is that this particular agent told me over the phone considering I have never met them before. This particular agent showed no honesty or integrity whatsoever.

I am deciding (for various reasons) to sell an investment property of mine. I rang an agent in the local area who I notice has been selling quite a few houses in this particular area of late.

They said, "you have picked the best possible time to sell, the area has absolutely peaked and there is no chance of any further gains in the area for a least 10 years."

I said, "well that's a pretty bold statement, I've heard this pitch before, in fact I heard it about 12 months ago when I had the property appraised at $430k (now worth approx $490k)."

They said, "yeah well I don't tell that to buyers, I tell them the opposite of course."

I gave them the 'don't ring me, I'll ring you routine' before ending the call. What amazed me about the whole thing is this came out from a five minute phone call. I could have been anyone on the phone, even a prospected buyer.

I have had agents attempt to play me off other imaginary bidders, completely defame / rubbish other agents in the area in an attempt to get my business (which also happened today) and have been told a plethora of lies by other agents.

The name and company this agent works for will remain anonymous to protect the guilty.

What other behaviours / lies / deceitful actions have you experienced from agents?

No offence to agents out there, I know a handful of very honest, hard working agents which I doubt I will ever question their integrity, but this one today was unbelievable.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.