realistically, what can abbott do?

1. 47,086 Posts.
    It seems to me that the PM has few choices. SBY is insisting on a craven apology, one which of necessity would need a promise NEVER to do it again attached. How can he do that? Indonesia is a very dangerous place for locals and Australians alike. More Indonesians are killed by terrorists than westerners. We have every right to protect our interests and the Indonesians benefit from our intelligence too.

I think the Indonesians have badly misjudged. They don't really have a strong hand. While Abbott is not about to take strong retaliatory actions [as many here advise, and who can blame them] it is a very lopsided friendship with the Indonesians having most to lose with a souring of relations.

Those relations have already been dealt a serious blow with "popular" rallies on the streets. I doubt many believe such rallies would be spontaneous or without official sanction.

I'm just a tradesman and would not dare give advice but I really don't see how Mr Abbott could have placated SBY while maintaining our own sovereignty. We cannot allow other nations to dictate our policy.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.