reality vs illusion, page-21

1. 369 Posts.
    "for God gives eyes that see and ears that hear"

Not necessarily... what about people with synesthesia?

http://www.synesthete.org/pretest_start.php?action=register&remail=&semail=&ch=

I followed some of the discussion posted earlier in this thread. Seems to me the initial discussion was largely directed towards perception, with reference to the concept of 'reality'. I think cognitive schema theories... network theory... offer the best explanations of optical illusions and other perceptual distortions.

Optical illusions, 'tricks of the mind' serve to remind us that our 'brain' has limitations. The instrument we use to perceive, observe, measure, interpret and interact with 'reality' is fallible. Perhaps the equation of classical test theory can apply.

True Reality = Observed Reality + Error

But then is 'reality' real? What is it then? Will 'reality' differ across populations or between people? Is it universal? Perhaps 'reality' is just another human construct /concept which could be otherwise defined as 'worldview'. Perhaps 'reality' simply describes the environment in which we live? Even if we all agree that there is such a thing as 'reality', we will no doubt disagree with it's conceptualisation. Your absolute reality is relative reality to me...

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.