I prefer to think that my eclectic career paths have given me a...

1. 10,947 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1960
    I prefer to think that my eclectic career paths have given me a broader view of the world, WC. That said, as you point out, this is a highly complex subject with a multitude of players and self interests - many of whom are swayed by ignorance and politics; even within the firefighting community.

While I believe that CC contributes to our current situation and should be addressed at some level, it is only one of the contributing factors to our fire problem, and can only be ameliorated over time by the world phasing out fossil fuels in a way that does not devastate economies. Regardless of the Co2 debate, the common denominator is the necessity of clean air and water. Solve those two damaging influences, which are crippling our environment, and we might have a slim chance of stabilizing our climate. A hard ask, give the unsustainable population explosion and the developing economies of 3rd world countries. But that should not stop the more advanced nations making a concerted effort to lead by example - and assist where possible.

As for wildfire in the Australian context, we are stuck between a rock and a hard place with a myriad of complexities. Climate change is exacerbating the problem with more prolonged droughts (IMO), but the more immediate concern is the build-up of ground fuels. Therein lies the problem, but that too is far more complex than the average person appreciates. Even if it were possible to conduct regular, wide spread (low intensity) fuel reduction burns, which it is not for a variety of reasons, experience has shown that areas where FRBs have been conducted just 2 years prior to a wildfire events, it makes little difference to the intensity and rate of spread when the 'Fire Danger Index' is running off the scale - which has been the case since circa 2007.

That in itself should not prevent us from undertaking FRBs at a local level to protect lives and assets and lower the risk, but it should not be seen as a cure-all. Nothing should be seen in isolation, and notwithstanding the growing problem of CC, a variety of risk prevention and firefighting tactics must me employed. The environment is changing from a fire perspective, and we must change with it in a way that does not unduly impact the environment itself. Therein lies the paradox.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.