NEA 0.00% $2.10 nearmap ltd

reasons for sudden drop?, page-18

1. 3,702 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 5
    Quoting myself from an earlier post here about shorting:

"Both of these data sources I have found to be not 100% reliable and don't include naked shorts AFAIK. In any case when the ASIC data becomes available for the last few trading days, I suspect we will see evidence of more shorters active. Shorting relatively illiquid stocks like this should be banned, but the ASX will take commission for anything it seems, so long as there is a buck to be made'

The lack of transparency continues.

Downloaded the latest ASIC shorting data from http://www.asic.gov.au/short-position-reports

This data from ASIC indicates NO shorting activity over the last couple of weeks. In fact the last shorting activity in the ASIC report, was back on the 6th of Nov for about 578 shares.

The daily ASX short reporting has however, indicated a lot of activity, sometimes well beyond 10% of days trade in the last two weeks, especially around the price collapse to low 40's.

ASIC does have the following disclaimer on their page but it make me wonder why they bother reporting this at all if the data is this useless:

'It is important to note that ASIC’s aggregated short position reports
    are reliant on the accuracy of reports we receive from individual short sellers.
    While we will monitor compliance with short position reporting and
    provide additional guidance where necessary, we are unable to
    verify the accuracy of all individual reports submitted to ASIC, nor to
    verify that all short sellers in our market (both in Australia and
    overseas) are lodging reports.

Disclaimer: No responsibility is accepted for any inaccuracies contained in the matter published.

Please note that due to technical difficulties experienced by ASIC, there may be some noticeable variations in the short positions reported compared to the previous day's report. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. View the list of reports affected
    '

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add NEA (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.