ERO 0.00% 0.3¢ ero mining limited

recent events

1. 165 Posts.
    Watch out rcent events:

1.Federal government is considering selling yellowcake to Russia.
    2. Overturn a 25-year ban on new uranium mines at the national conference in Sydney

Labor, Coalition facing uranium dilemmas
    Email Print Normal font Large font April 27, 2007 - 6:59PM

Advertisement
    AdvertisementAs Labor grapples with whether to overturn a 25-year ban on new uranium mines, the federal government is considering selling yellowcake to a one-time cold war enemy.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer revealed Australia may soon be selling uranium to Russia after discussions this week on upgrading a nuclear safeguards agreement between the two countries.

The discussions centred on expanding a 1990 agreement which only allowed Australian uranium to be processed in Russia by third party countries, but prevented the former Soviet power from using Australian supplies of the fuel itself.

"The proposed new agreement would allow Australian uranium producers to supply Russia's nuclear power industry, and would retain and build on the strict safeguards conditions contained in the current agreement," Mr Downer said.

Australia has had a change of heart after Russia last year announced plans to separate its military and civilian nuclear programs, bringing the latter under the watch of the International Atomic Energy Agency.

The government's plan to expand uranium sales comes as Labor approaches a difficult ideological debate at its national conference in Sydney on whether to scrap a policy which prevents the opening of any new uranium mines.

Labor has already decided that in government it would not allow nuclear energy in Australia.

Opposition Leader Kevin Rudd is widely expected to win the vote - which will occur late on Saturday afternoon - but is facing strict opposition from members of his frontbench, including Anthony Albanese, Peter Garrett, Tanya Plibersek, Penny Wong and Kim Carr.

The leader and his office weren't discussing the uranium issue on Friday, leaving his contribution to his keynote speech to the conference, where he attacked the federal government as out of touch with modern Australia.

Deputy Labor leader Julia Gillard again predicted Mr Rudd would prevail in the debate but predicted it would be a passionate discussion.

"This is an area on which views differ and they're deeply held," she said.

"I expect as I've always expected that Kevin Rudd's view will prevail."

Some political pundits believe Labor powerbrokers have timed the uranium vote to avoid the weekday news cycle and the worst of the damage from a contentious debate.

Mr Albanese is leading the push against the Rudd proposal and will put forward his own motion proposing Labor delay any decision until after it has firm safeguards in place to deal with nuclear non-proliferation and waste.

"I think that delegates know that while you can guarantee that uranium mining will lead to nuclear waste you can't guarantee that it won't lead to nuclear weapons," he told AAP.

"Delegates will be very cautious before they exercise their vote to remove Labor's ban on new uranium mines."

The anti-uranium mining lobby was unwilling to concede that overturning the ban was a fait accompli.

"This is a democratic conference and people I believe on this will very much listen to the arguments that are put forward on the floor of the conference," Mr Albanese said.

Former Midnight Oil frontman and Labor's environment spokesman Peter Garrett said he had strong views on the issue and was looking forward to the opportunity to express those views to the conference.

Mr Garrett stood for the Senate on a nuclear disarmament platform in the 1980s.

"I am focusing on putting a point of view which I think needs to be put, which I know has the support of Labor Party members and which I know has the support of many members of the public," he said.

"This party is big enough to have a decent, respectful and robust debate about any issue, including this one."

As Labor debates uranium policy, Prime Minister John Howard is tipped on Saturday to announce a plan to change legislation and open the way for nuclear power stations in Australia.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ERO (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.