recent NBN experiences, page-2

1. 4,306 Posts.
    I changed from ADSL2 to the NBN about 3 weeks ago. I still had 12 months to go on my Telstra plan ($99 for a 1000gig) so this was just rolled over. When I do speed checks it is usually around 22 to 23 Mpbs where ADSL2 was around the 12 mark. So far all very reliable and I am not aware of any down time. The house is about 80 meters from the node (ie fibre to the node).

My complaint has been with the WIFI. I had a very good netgear modem/router which was very powerful. Because I still wanted to use the home phone line (call me old fashioned) I had to use the Telstra modem - the phone has to go into the modem - the result is the WIFI signal was not as good as before. For the first time I had buffering on Netflix and the sport on Foxtel (via WIFI) was not as clear as it used to be. My experience with the tech support from Telstra was only so so (I am no tech geek). After the second call the Indian lass got me to change the WIFI channel setting (not that hard to do) which has helped - however I am still not that happy with the signal. I will probably get a WIFI booster over the weekend which everyone tells me will solve the problem. I could go back to the old netgear box but then I would not have the home phone.

Also note I have just found out that in our suburb they will be getting rid of ADSL2 by mid next year (the exchange is pretty old and knackered) so you will have to go on the NBN or have dial up. Talk about a gun to your head.

Overall it has worked for me but to be honest I hardly notice any great difference in performance. As I am paying the same price as before - and all calls are free via the home phone - I guess I am a little bit in front but it is hardly a life changing experience.

Cheers

slc4me

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.