AFI 0.55% $7.26 australian foundation investment company limited

record high?, page-4

1. 259 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 19
    I'll try to explain as easily as I can, be prepared that this will miss nuances.

AFI is a holding company for equities. As in it owns stocks on behalf of us shareholders. What we can do is figure out what it's worth via what it holds. This minus it's liabilities is the NTA. These are assets that if the company decided it was no longer a going concern, that would go to shareholders.

For a LIC, ETF or REIT you generally want them to trade at NTA, or slightly above below (ETFs trade at NTA technically though). The premium or discount for REITs/Funds/LIC's is generally thought of the managerial alpha (or error). The daily price also changes by sentiment and other factors too. There is a lot that goes into what makes up a price of different types of funds though, including their premium (this is something I studied at university).

Basically though, if AFI did not exist tomorrow, you would get back something like $5.51 per share. If you bought at the current price $6.60, thats a $1 loss.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AFI (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.