FML 9.09% 15.0¢ focus minerals ltd

Goldfields miner Focus Minerals says it can turn the corner on...

1. 230 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 35

Goldfields miner Focus Minerals says it can turn the corner on its high cash cost levels, which forced it to report negative operating cash flows despite record gold production during the June quarter.

Focus, one of WA's biggest producing gold plays, mined 48,222 ounces at its Coolgardie and Laverton mines during the three months to June 30, finishing the financial year with 176,632oz.

The miner was one of many WA gold producers to release its quarterly results yesterday.

Focus produced at an average cost of $1195/oz, but the company still struggled to add to its coffers, decreasing available cash in the bank from $4.39 million at the end of March to $3.13 million at June 30.

Chief executive Campbell Baird labelled the quarter's result as "strong" and a turning point for Focus but admitted costs were still an issue. "I wish they were lower … but you're not going to see a business running at $600 an ounce," he said. "Our challenge is to maintain the margin we've got now - $400 to $500 (an ounce) - and fit capital investment and exploration into that.

"I don't hide from the cash costs, they are what they are with Focus Minerals …. but I still think it's a very strong business."

Focus' share price was stagnant on the back of the quarterly, finishing the day unchanged at 3.5¢.

The company reported a negative net operating cash flow of $6.93 million during the June quarter - down from a $3.62 million in the black during the March period.

Mr Baird attributed the negative move to expenditure at the Laverton mines of $6 million in the March quarter and $15 this quarter to open the pit. Focus acquired Crescent Gold last night.

He said Focus would reap the benefits of this expenditure in the coming quarter and move back into positive operating cash flows.

The miner had focused on milling and unit costs per tonne which had come down a long way.

"We've taken the big wins and now it's a matter of taking the small wins and chipping away at these things," Mr Baird said.

"It (the quarterly result) is beginning to show the sort of business we have."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/business/a/-/wa/14424640/record-output-focus-on-costs/

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add FML (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
15.0¢
Change
-0.015(9.09%)
Mkt cap ! $42.98M
Open High Low Value Volume
15.5¢ 16.5¢ 15.0¢ $12.22K 80.92K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 76030 15.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
16.5¢ 4618 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 15.59pm 19/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
FML (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.