BNB babcock & brown limited

red ink threatens b&b's survival, page-2

1. 2,020 Posts.
    Interesting isn't it BB (what timezone are you in?). So they move a bunch of assets from long term hold accounting categories and into available for sale and voila its worth a tonne less than what the accounts were saying before (wonder how many other banks are in that boat - a lot!) and now they are technically insolvent.

If the assets are kicking of cash (which they are) and they have a good chance of being sold for more in the future (which I would have to say is possible) then it totally makes sense for the banks to convert some of their debt to equity (preferred equity I would guess), that way they keep it alive and kick of some cash to service the reduced debt and hope that they can orderly sell the assets over a 2-3 year period for more than they could today in a firesale.

I wonder also what sort of games B&B are playing at also, are the write-downs appropriate? Are they too little so not to spook the banks? Are they too much to give it a good chance of upside and spook the banks into the debt/equity swap? who knows, with 20+ banks to negotiate with and god knows how many nationalities and their own issues anything could happen. Seems they want it to go on though for a bit anyway.......

Not sure it was the right thing or not but I sold the rest of my equity and bought more of the BNBG's yesterday, next week will be real interesting.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BNB (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.