Reddit versus hedge funds - $GME, page-60

1. 1,646 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 202
    Call me naive, but I see a difference between a broker report/newsletter that expresses an opinion with a price target based on some form of analysis that the analyst explains in their report versus a discussion that is centred about how to manipulate a share price to a certain level, based on short or long positions by other investors, with no reference to underlying fundamental value.

Any such newsletter or broker report is quickly disseminated and analysed by other investors. If the information or insight expressed in the report is something new, then this can move the price, especially, if the author is well respected. I would not consider that to be either manipulation nor collusion, though a regulator might look as to how this new and unique insight might have been gained - just to ensure it did not come from say the company that the report is about.

To the extent that you think: "Funds bet against other funds this way all the time, and it's considered a non-issue"

Of course funds bet against each other - effectively with every trade they do. Again, the distinction is where the intention of the trade is not to take a position, but to have your transaction move the price. I personally would be willing to trade a bit of my privacy for a regulator that delves much deeper into trading patterns.

One thing I do know, is that self-regulation does not work. Especially not in an industry that is driven by greed.

All imho only.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.