WDS 1.02% $27.26 woodside energy group ltd

It's amazing how many of these people there still are on the...

1. 71 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 69
    It's amazing how many of these people there still are on the internet. There are two possibilities here which may be relevant to the dispassionate investor:

1 - Climate change is a real problem, and we're in a serious pickle. Demand for energy, including, sooner or later, natural gas, will need to fall if we aren't all going to finish by eating one another. Adjust your cashflow forecasts accordingly.

2 - We've been fooled by millions of scientists and government lackeys who, for whatever reason, have decided to collude en mass in putting about the lie that the planet is cooking. Since we've all been fooled, expect demand for natural gas to fall. Adjust your cashflow forecasts accordingly.

I guess you're contemplating option 3, a variation on option 2 in which we all wake up from our stupor, realise we've been fooled, rip out our heatpumps and crash our electric cars into a field of solar panels, whereupon demand for natural gas may be relied upon to soar. No need to adjust your cashflow forecast.

In my humble opinion, if you subscribe to theories 1 or 2, WPL still represents a good buy. Natural gas is cleaner (both for real, and if you prefer imaginary things) than the likes of coal, and demand will hold up for a long time in investment terms, even if not on geophysical timescales. And of course, you can always hold out hope that we do just end up eating one another, but that share prices remain high nevertheless.

Obviously if you subscribe to theory three, I can see why you'd be upset about the CEO suggesting that demand may soften. But hey, better than sailing blindly ahead if the future holds weaker demand (even if because we all believe in a lie). Isn't this what we pay management for?

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WDS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$27.26
Change
-0.280(1.02%)
Mkt cap ! $51.75B
Open High Low Value Volume
$27.51 $27.59 $27.23 $86.52M 3.161M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
4 18025 $27.26

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$27.29 2418 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 14/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$27.28
  Change
-0.280 ( 1.09 %)
Open High Low Volume
$27.52 $27.59 $27.23 469568
Last updated 15.59pm 14/06/2024 ?
WDS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.