ETM 5.00% 2.1¢ energy transition minerals ltd

ree projects

1. 63 Posts.
    Hi Guys,

As many will be aware, there are quite a few REE startups on the ASX, TSX and AIM. Many are planning first production in 2016, but the reality is that only a couple will reach production in the next 5 years. I have been reviewing these other projects in detail for 4-5 months now, and found that many look attractive at first glance – but turn out to be seriously lacking on closer inspection. I wonder whether it might be worthwhile discussing the leading REE projects and comparing them with Kvanefjeld?

I figure I’d start with Arafura Resources (AFU.ASX) as they have one of the most developed REE projects – if there is interest I will continue with some other projects. Some basic stats on the AFU Nolans Project are below (mostly off memory – so DYOR). On the surface, it looks good with a well-developed DFS, great NPV and progressing to an investment decision over the next year. On closer inspection I found:
    -The ore is difficult to concentrate through normal methods. The concentrate grade is only 5% resulting in high construction and operating costs in the Whyalla rare earth complex. They have announced project delays to revisit the concentrator design amongst other things - but it is a worry considering they have been working on the metallurgical design since 2005. It makes one appreciate the recent success of the GGG concentrator pilot plant.
    -The pre-leach and purification flow sheets are very involved with many separate processing steps. The GGG process looks far simpler and requires no high temperature cracking.
    -The NPV calculation is based on an extremely optimistic basket price of $60/kg. Current pricing for their basket is closer to $40 on my calculations.

Project Stats
    -Project Stage: DFS
    -Strategy: Mine and concentrate at Nolans, rail to new Whyalla refinery
    -In-situ grade: Average – 2.5%
    -Deposit size: Medium – 1.2mt, similar to Lynas
    -HREEs: Almost exclusively light REEs. Project does contain 20.5% Nd – which is a higher value light REE
    -Extraction costs: Low – open cut mining
    -REO Conc grade: Poor – 5%
    -Ease of refining: High temp cracking required. Process looks more complicated than other projects.
    Saleable by-products: Not significant
    -Waste Disposal: Low – waste returned to mine site
    -Capacity: Large – 22ktpa
    -NPV: $4.3b
    -IRR: 30%
    -Opex: Approx $20/kg
    -Capex: High $1.4b+
    -Process Risk: Well developed, but is complex and likely to be risky.
    -Country / Political Risk: Low
    -Off-take agreements: Links to Chinese companies.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ETM (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
2.1¢
Change
0.001(5.00%)
Mkt cap ! $29.58M
Open High Low Value Volume
2.2¢ 2.2¢ 2.1¢ $8.365K 380.3K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 436371 2.1¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
2.2¢ 1363 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 14.52pm 06/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
ETM (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.