Thanks ASX,much appreciated.I was having a read of those reviews...

1. 13,575 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 567
    Thanks ASX,much appreciated.

I was having a read of those reviews on cloudynights and they seem to come to the conclusion that for most objects,incl deep space,a good refractor of 5"+ is hard to beat as it can eliminate a degree of the washout from city lights,whereas the light bucket reflectors are excellent in dark conditions,most of my gazing will be done in/near city washout.

Its an age old debate,refractors Vs reflectors Vs Cassegrains etc and,like you,I tend to head for the upper eschelons when it comes to such gear.

If I get into it more seriously,and who eventually doesnt get the bug when hooked,I'll probably end up with both as I can occasionally make country trips.

My enthusiasm was piqued by spending a few days in Tassy last week and stayed just south of Hobart which,although not great weatherwise for most of the year,is outstanding for the lack of light washout.I confused the milkyway for smoke originally but thats how clear the sky was!Pity the only instrument available was a rubbish budget refractor that couldnt focus the streetlight 50Mtrs away!!!

EXTREMELY frustrating to have such good conditions.Some good binocs would have done much better justice to my efforts.

I will TRY and keep my mind open when looking at the scopes.

Once again thanks for the reply.

Let you know how I get on and probably just how bad the bug gets:-)

d.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.