Imagine being under 30 and single. In my opinion Melbourne is...

1. 4,871 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 259
    Imagine being under 30 and single.

In my opinion Melbourne is still reasonable if a few sacrifices are made but Sydney is getting to the point that without some kind of family assistance it's getting hard if not impossible for a couple on the average income to buy something that isn't either a Studio/1 bedroom joint or a drug den. That really isn't acceptable for 2 x full-time workers.

For me without being able to live with parents while saving for our house we'd be borrowing an extra $50+k or priced out of the market and renting. That option isn't available to everyone, a mates family sold up and moved to QLD which forced his hand to start renting. This while in the middle of a uni degree (as a mature age student) and a partner doing the same has turned a reasonable house deposit into not even 10% by the time your factor in stamp duty on an existing dwelling. They haven't spent any of the deposit and have been still adding what they can after rent + expenses it's just a result of market appreciation over 2-3 years.

In the 18 months since we bought the market has gone up another 15% or ~$70k for our property, when many of these suburbs are now restricted to 80% LVR by the big 4 it just isn't possible to front up that kind of cash as a first home owner.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.