I'm in Seaford, South Australia, 5169....

1. 490 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1

I'm in Seaford, South Australia, 5169.
    http://www.sqmresearch.com.au/graph_vacancy.php?postcode=5169&t=1
    (Remember to scroll to the right!)

If you look at the vacancy chart above, we were averaging a vacancy rate of about 1% since the data was first recorded in 2005. Since this year, however, things have taken a turn for the worse and in July the vacancy rate hit 3.1 percent.

I'm in a complex of 20 almost identical town-houses, which makes comparison easy. When I started the tenancy in December 2010, the asking rate was $340/wk. The townhouse I was looking at had been empty for a little while, so I offered $330.

Since then there has been quite a few vacancies and the advertised going rate has fallen to $320/wk. There has been a few failed attempts to sell, but it looks like no 2 has just been sold - It was first listed for $340,000, then dropped to $315k to 325k after 50 days on the market. Can't find it listed on onthehouse yet - I'm interested to know what the final sale price is. The other ones were taken off the market when the new financial year came in. I guess they will ride the market out for another year, and then try again.

We also appear to have vacant townhouses which are not listed. I believe number 5 is empty at the moment (there is nothing in the front loungeroom) and likewise number 9. When we had as many as four vacant, I noticed there was only one listed on the web. I suspect as they are all the same, and most are listed by the same agent, they had decided not to list them all at once and further depress the market.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.