BHP 1.09% $42.68 bhp group limited

research that says it all

1. 110 Posts.
    BHP Billiton Ltd (BHP)
    BHP is the largest stock in the Australian index and can be seen as a bellwether for
    the broader market, with its leverage to global growth similar to our economy. When
    BHP performs well it is good for sentiment and thus has an overall positive affect on
    the market.
    The following commentary from Charlie Aitken outlines the strong investment case for
    BHP. Aitken is an institutional dealer with Southern Cross Equities who have strong
    expertise in the resource sector.
    “There is clearly some irrational pricing based on irrational fear in some parts of the
    Australian equity market. BHP is now trading nearly -40% below its all-time high and
    commanding a fy08 P/E of just 9x. The FY09 P/E is even lower. The first place to
    allocate cash is to Australia's, and one of the world's strongest companies. In risk
    adjusted terms on today prices BHP is the single best buy in Australian equities. I
    think BHP shares are grossly, grossly oversold, down more than double the index
    from the highs, on misplaced fears of US exposure and a higher (dilutive) offer for
    RIO.
    It's worth remembering that BHP shares were trading $24.00 in January 2007. They
    went on to double in less than 12 months all driven by earnings and capital
    management growth. I am of the view BHP shares are even lower risk buying today
    than they were at $24.00 last January. It's also worth noting that commodity prices
    have not collapsed. There is no commodity that BHP sells that is down anywhere near
    40% as the share price is. In fact, oil, gold, uranium, nickel, copper, coal, and iron ore
    are all either higher or only slightly lower. Production growth is strong as was
    evidenced on Wednesday's production report. There is no issue with BHP earnings or
    cash flow; if anything the risks to consensus BHP numbers remain to the upside.
    Here is how I see the next month playing out in BHP shares. This is why I want to
    accumulate them from today's shorters.
    1. This week's 2nd qtr production report confirmed record volume growth
    2. BHP will formalise the 3:1 RIO offer (on or before 6th of Feb), or they will
    simple walk. They will not and should not raise the offer in any way.
    3. Hedge funds will dump RIO and cover shorts in BHP (on or before 6th of Feb)
    on confirmation of BHP's discipline.
    4. IH FY08 earnings will beat expectations due to strong cost control and revenue
    growth (6th of Feb)
    5. Large scale buyback program will be reinstated (6th of Feb)
    6. Analysts upgrade consensus FY08 and FY09 estimates (7th of Feb)
    7. Commodity prices rise on aggressive Fed rate cut (late Jan), led by Copper
    8. Outflows from global natural resource funds slow (Feb)
    9. BHP management talks to investors about BHP's investment case rather than
    the BHP/RIO investment case (6th of Feb). The market has responded well to
    BHP's extreme levels of disclosure in the last few results presentations.
    10. Clarity is brought to all of the above issues. Certainty replaces speculation, and
    the response will be a solid recovery in BHP shares from today's grossly,
    grossly oversold levels.
    GPCA Research Update: 25h January 2008
    My view is you need to be fully weighted in BHP on or before the 6th of February. This
    company is not going to overpay for RIO as we have consistently written. They will not
    improve the offer and in the current market environment they should not improve the
    offer. It's worth remembering the last time the ASX200 index was down here RIO
    shares were $73.00. We continue to recommend selling RIO and buying BHP.
    I realise these are testing times but remaining as unemotional as possible is the way
    to profit from these periods. It is always darkest before the dawn.”
    Source: Charlie Aitken, Southern Cross Equities 22/01/08

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BHP (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$42.68
Change
-0.470(1.09%)
Mkt cap ! $216.4B
Open High Low Value Volume
$42.71 $43.20 $42.68 $463.8M 10.82M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 13572 $42.68

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$42.70 457 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 28/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
BHP (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.