Hey Acorn I agree that if you hold quality property for the long...

1. 937 Posts.
    Hey Acorn

I agree that if you hold quality property for the long term there is no compelling reason to sell.

I purchased an investment property in Sydney some 5 years ago all up for about $640k that I could easily off-load in the current market for about $1.08m, a paper gain of about 11% pa.

The property is quality, in a nice area, funded appropriately (about 30% LVR), positive cash flow & negatively geared due to tax allowances. It is in the sweet spot.

If I sell, what will I do with the proceeds? It is a set and forget investment for me, it causes me no concern to hold and if it goes up in value or declines it is of no great joy or concern.

The market is fragmented and I only follow a small area of the market but it would not surprise me if prices move up 15% over the next few years. Regardless, it is a long term activity that carries little risk for me.

11% pa over 5 years is small fry in the scheme things when you look around Hot Copper and the investors posting here but it is very nice for a little fish like me.

I have no desire to buy or sell property at the moment or in the medium term.

All the best

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.