The ‘single use’ plastic bag issue and reusable bags and the...

1. 2,209 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 42
    The ‘single use’ plastic bag issue and reusable bags and the fact that staff can refuse to fill ‘dirty’ bags has me wondering about the following:

It appears we are being encouraged to bring and use ‘reusable’ coffee cups(mugs) at the coffee shop. This is becoming quite a profitable industry. However; from the time I first heard of this my ‘icky’ vibes perked up.

Most people would wash and keep their reusable cup clean. However; there are always those that don’t. In these cases, the unwashed coffee cup (it may not necessarily look dirty) is handed to the barista to prepare the coffee and fill. Any germs can be passed onto the barista then onto each subsequent cup they handle. There is a process for germs to develop into a condition or illness, but, in my view, this is laying the foundation for this to take place.
    I never have only one coffee ... do those reusable coffee cups actually get washed after the first cup? Does a person with a hacking cough get told ... ‘sorry, I don’t want to handle your cup’. There are a lot of very young and unassertive baristas or waiters/waitresses in coffee shops ... so, I personally can’t see this always happening ... laying further foundations in the developing condition/illness process. Even when not using reusables the coffee shop worker is handling cups that have been used by people with illnesses. However; it is the buildup of germs on the ‘uncleaned’ (dirty) reusable cups that poses, imo, a much more probability of illnesses being able to be passed onto others. Will the barista, waiter or waitress need to be trained, and constantly reminded, to wash their hands (doctor/nurse style) after handling each cup.

Now, if the above doesn’t make you stop and think ... how about this? If ever I need to use a public loo, I will never put anything on the ground. I reckon there are a number of people around ... usually those who don’t religiously clean their reusable cup ... that think nothing of plonking their coffee cup on the ground whilst on their mobile phone and .... !!! Where does this reusable coffee cup travel next?

Now, of course, I am catastrophising this issue in order to present it to your attention.

What do you think ....

Cheers ...
    Cazzex

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.