RRS 0.00% 0.1¢ range resources limited

reuters oil workers arrested in somailand

1. 17,050 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 24

Reuters RSS
    Get breaking Africa news by country with Reuters RSS service.

Somaliland forces arrest two Westerners
    Sat 7 Jun 2008, 12:43 GMT

By Hussein Ali Noor

HARGEISA, Somalia, June 7 (Reuters) - Security forces in a breakaway northern Somali republic arrested two Westerners on Saturday thought to be surveyors working for a Canadian mining company, government officials said.

Somaliland's Defence Minister Abdillahi Ali Ebrahim said the two men had entered the country illegally and had been detained in Las Qorey district, Eastern Sanag region, with four Somalis.

"I will not be revealing the identity or nationality of the two Caucasians at present," Ebrahim told reporters. "I will only say that they were travelling in a car and are believed to have been surveying minerals in the area." The four Somalis were all from neighbouring Puntland, he said, all six men were being taken to the Sanag capital Erigabo.

Government sources said the two Westerners were believed to be employees of a Canadian company hoping to conduct a seismic survey in the area, which is rich in zinc and other minerals.

They did not elaborate.

Vancouver-based Africa Oil Corp is carrying out a survey in Puntland. Company officials could not immediately be reached.

Somaliland split from the rest of Somalia in 1991 when warlords toppled military dictator Mohamed Siad Barre, plunging the country into anarchy. It has governed itself since then. (Writing by Daniel Wallis) (For full Reuters Africa coverage and to have your say on the top issues, visit: http://africa.reuters.com/

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add RRS (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.