TLS 0.00% $3.88 telstra group limited

From "Business Insider 17th Aug 2017" (Telstra... on 8th Aug...

1. 20 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 87
    From "Business Insider 17th Aug 2017"
    (Telstra... on 8th Aug 2017 ...  $4.11)
    Richard Coppleson, the former Goldman Sachs equity strategist now at Bell Potter, let rip a spectacular rant earlier this month on the problems with investor psychology in Australia around dividends on stocks like Telstra.
    In the August 8 edition of his celebrated daily “Coppo Report”, Coppleson revealed he had had barneys with clients about their insistence on holding Telstra for the income. Here’s what he said:
    Now will those (blind) Telstra bulls (at any price) finally listen – I’ve had massive fights with (mainly those who are “big” on income) that the stock is going lower & dividend could be a risk.
    They argue that everyone’s on the phone – their kids use it, the NBN, and “Hey Coppo – you just don’t get it you nor all those stupid instos (sorry guys you were also included) – Ok when this took place the stock was at $5.00 & they “pay a 31c dividend – now that puts them of a big fat dividend yield of 6.2%”.
    They go on.. “Coppo you just don’t get it do you – it’s on a 6.2% FULLY FRANKED dividend yield – so if you ”gross it up” then it’s on a dividend Yield of 8.8% that’s vs RBA Cash Rate of 1.5% I love that type of investment” (and guess what this guy also thought the RBA was going to cut). Ok he “loved” Telstra back then at $5.00 & yield of 6.2% ff (he was “piling them into his Super Fund as it was a real “no brainer”).
    well the “Dividend Yield” on Telstra today has “ballooned” out to 7.5% ff, or grossed up 10.80% BUT the share price has dropped from $5.00 to $4.09 a drop of -91c or a capital loss of -18%.
    So the lesson is that investors want “income” and that is only going to increase over time.
    BUT chasing a stock for its “yield” only (and the
    bigger the yield the more you should worry) has never been a great strategy.
    BUT having said all that Telstra will find massive buying support anytime it gets to $4.00 as yield hungry investors look for income. The other way to look at Telstra here at $4.09 is that say they cut the dividend from 31c to 26c a huge 16% drop – at 26c the stock would be on a dividend yield of 6.3% fully franked or 9.1% grossed up.
    So I’d say we have got Telstra stuck in a solid trading band of $4.00 BUY… to $4.50 / $4.75 SELL….
    (As it happens, after its initial plunge, Telstra shares have climbed off the mat and a short time ago were trading at $3.99, down 8% and just 1c lower than where Coppleson said it would find buyers.)

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TLS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$3.88
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $44.83B
Open High Low Value Volume
$3.87 $3.91 $3.86 $69.78M 18.08M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 66211 $3.88

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$3.89 400250 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 19/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
TLS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.