Richmond vs GWS (Preliminary Final preview), page-14

1. 10,811 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 289
    THE Tiger army is ready to roar, with long-suffering Richmond fans to fill the MCG for tonight’s do-or-die preliminary final against Greater Western Sydney.

A yellow and black chorus of Richmond fans will bring the stadium to life as a sold-out crowd cheers the Tigers towards their first Grand Final since 1982 and a shot at their first flag in 37 years.
    A crowd of more than 95,000 is expected and the overwhelming majority will be wearing Richmond colours at the 4.45pm opening bounce.

Richmond legend Dale Weightman, who played in the club’s last premiership in 1980, said the team had been “training as though they were going to play’’ and were fired up to make history.

“We’ve got a hurdle to come and GWS are a formidable side ... but we’re ready to go,’’ Weightman said.
    He said a vibe, not felt in years, had settled over Tigerland.

“They’re a good bunch of loyal supporters, the Tigers, and when they’re up and running they’re good to be around.’’

One of the most loyal supporters, Sam, 40, from Hawthorn, was the first in line at the MCG yesterday, some 28 hours before tonight’s preliminary final was due to start.

The Tigers had given him the “best year of his life”, he said, and if they were to win their first Grand Final berth in 35 years, he wanted the best seat in the house.

“The darkest era in Richmond’s history has been my lifetime,” he said.
    “This is not an opportunity that I want to waste.”

He’d brought a camp chair and a bag of food along with him but said he didn’t anticipate getting through last night would be all that bad, having endured the long wait for Grand Final seats over the past 25 years.
    “If you’ve got a seat, you’ll be able to sleep.”

Thousands of fans descended on Punt Rd Oval yesterday for an open training session, some cheering as though they were at the preliminary already.

“We couldn’t get tickets (to the game) so we thought we’d come down,” said mum Laurice Desilva.
    “Everyone just seems happy and excited. I love the atmosphere. I’ve been waiting so long for them to get into the finals, so it’s very emotional.”

Players going through final paces were just as upbeat, with Alex Rance joking as he autographed shiny footballs.

“I hope these are good to kick because they’re shocking to sign,” Rance said.

Many fans had taken the day off work or school to make the most of the club’s current position.

“Everyone talks about it — the long-suffering Tigers fans — so it’s a surreal feeling to be deep in September,” supporter and sports commentator David McKenzie said.

Francis Bourke, who won five flags in 300 games for the Tigers and was the last man to coach Richmond in a Grand Final, said he had his fingers crossed. “I’m really thrilled they have progressed as far as they have.”

Tigers great Matthew Richardson said fans who had stuck with the club through thick and thin “deserve a little bit of success’’ and the team was in prime position.

“They’ve played good footy all year, they’ve played consistent footy, it’s a good brand of footy to watch and I think that’s why the fans are enjoying it,’’ Richardson said.

He said the thought of premiership celebrations in Richmond was alluring.

“We’ll worry about the prelim first but I guess if that was to happen then I’m sure they would enjoy it,’’ he said.
    Richmond cheer squad president Gerard Egan said he was nervously excited about the prospect of finally seeing his team qualify for a Grand Final.

“I would actually like to know how far away they hear the roar at the final siren if we win,’’ he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/5285c59cedef9168bdf1127acbc35cf3

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.