Most of us will never see the work ASIO does in the shadows...

1. 54,443 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 305

Most of us will never see the work ASIO does in the shadows tokeep us safe.

That’s why the Director General’s Annual Threat Assessmentspeech is so important. It was a speech to the Australian people.

I attended the speech this week at ASIO headquarters where theDG gave insight into the work they are doing. I encourage you to readthe primary document yourself.

I trust the Director General. He has strategic vision and isoperationally focused. He understands his mission: to hunt those who would dous harm.

The DG outlined the two main threats to our country.

The first is terrorism. There is credible intelligence thatindividuals and groups have the capability and intent to conduct terrorismonshore.

Violent Islamic extremism of the type embodied by Islamic Stateand al’Qaida remains the principal concern.

Extreme right wing groups are also a growing problem. The DGwarned that “in suburbs around Australia, small cells regularly meet to saluteNazi flags, inspect weapons, train in combat and share their hateful ideology.”

Australia has fought and defeated both Islamic militants andNazis in the past. Neither have a place in our country.

IMG_3978.jpg?1582869237

The second threat to Australia is the unprecedented rise inespionage and foreign interference. The DG warned:

“The intent is to engineer fundamental shifts in Australia’sposition in the world, not just to collect intelligence or use us as apotential ‘back-door’ into our allies and partners.”

The threats are significant. The security landscape is evolvingand Australia’s adversaries are more determined and sophisticated than everbefore.

But so is ASIO and its partners.

They strive to out-wit and out-imagine our adversaries.

Parliament works closely with our agencies to ensure they havethe laws, resources and funding needed to disrupt threats and keep Australianssafe.

For example, the DG described how the Assistance and Access Act,which was refined through the PJCIS, was used within ten days of it coming intoeffect.

We lead the world with our counter-terror, foreign interferenceand espionage laws. We are making sure they are fit for purpose in a digitalage.

It is a job I take very seriously.

Best,
    e-signature.png?1582273959
    Andrew Hastie

Other News

Newclassrooms now open in Waroona

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.