AJQ 0.00% 10.0¢ armour energy limited

rio tinto in gove running out of gas

1. 7,057 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 98
    Believe it or not Rio Tinto is going to shut their alumina refinery in Gove if they can't get enough Gas !

"Mills to lobby Rio bosses

NIGEL ADLAM    |   February 1st, 2013
    CHIEF Minister Terry Mills will fly to Europe next week in a bid to persuade mining giant Rio Tinto not to close the Gove refinery.

Mr Mills is going to London and Paris following a failed mission to Perth.

His plea to energy companies Santos and GDF Suez to supply gas from their fields in the Bonaparte Gulf was rejected.

In a statement today, Mr Mills said: "I will continue to work around the clock, knock on every door and turn over every stone to reach a deal and create certainty for the Nhulunbuy community and the Territory.

"This Government is doing all it can to secure the Northern Territory’s electricity supply and find the additional gas needed to reach an agreement.

Advertisement

"An aggregated gas supply must be found for the Northern Territory and I remain determined to see this occur. But I cannot and will not risk taking actions that result in upward pressure on Territory power prices.

"Yesterday's discussions have revealed an emerging issue. This problem is not unique to the Northern Territory, but exists in other states and nationally, where the international market demands compete against domestic market requirement.

"A response to this must form the basis of our national energy policy and I intend to have this matter remain on the COAG agenda.

"This is not just a Territory issue but an issue of national significance and I will be flying to Canberra on Monday before departing for Europe."

I wonder have he knocked on Armour's door yet, as our Glyde area should have plenty of gas for Rio!

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AJQ (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.