HiI was relieved to hear that at least some financial support is...

1. 18,140 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 168
    Hi
    I was relieved to hear that at least some financial support is forthcoming for the unfortunate nurse's family.
    I was a working mother most of my life. For some time in my working life I was in a situation where the work became more important than my family, because I worked in a fairly regulated public institution not unlike a hospital. Lots of exposure to critical or jealous eyes, constant admonitions (of everybody) by management; regulations, standards held up to us (the employees) on a weekly basis etc. The smallest individual admonishment could easily become the most important event of the daily working day, the smallest transgression, wrong word on the telephone etc. etc. gave food for continuing self-criticism, thought etc.

I remember driving home one day with tears streaming down my face (don't ask me why, now) and as my car stopped at a red light, a male driver leaning over and saying: "it can't be that bad, can it?" I have forgotten what I cried over, but haven't forgotten that humane reaction by a total stranger - I felt instantly better.

I, too, am a migrant, with good English, but not always conscious in those days of the finer nuances of spoken jokes/jibes/jealousies etc. - Privately things can also go wrong, and this poor nurse probably had it all happen on the one day; possibly cumulative ongoing stress, lack of sleep, possibly overworked with too many responsibilities -
    have some compassion, for heaven's sake.

I might also add, that I have gone through a hard school and I am fairly tough, so above revelation was a bit hard to make, but it's the truth - working life for a woman who also has 'home duties' and growing children and husband is often a a continuing balancing act. Please do not condemn this woman, condemn the superiors of the reporters and possibly the hospital administration.

I am actually surprised that it isn't an offence to impersonate the Queen in a public space?

Another comment: we allow our young people to remain stupid and silly for far too long into their adult lives and the modern gadgets of 'distraction' aren't helping; some thought needs to be given which way our societies are heading.

Taurisk

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.