RMG 0.00% 0.7¢ rmg limited

The South Australian government is misleading the public by...

1. 586 Posts.
    The South Australian government is misleading the public by spruiking a mining boom that doesn't exist, the opposition says.

Mining production was slow and even mining exploration in the state had taken a hit as a result of the global financial crisis, Opposition leader Isobel Redmond told reporters on Tuesday.

'We all know this is a resource-rich state and we want to have a mining boom, but thus far what we've had in this state has been a exploration boom and that has gone backwards in the last 12 months,' Ms Redmond said.

'We are second bottom, only with Tasmania below us, in terms of the value of mining as an industry in this state.'

The value of mining projects for the state in October 2009 equalled half a billion dollars according to figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics, cited by the opposition.

The state's mining revenue for 2009-10 came in at just under $150 million, according to state budget figures, faring better than Victoria on nearly $50 million and Tasmania on nearly $20 million.

Ms Redmond's comments came as Mr Rann officially opened Jacinth-Ambrosia mine on South Australia's west coast, which she said was just a diversion from the real issues of water, health and education.

'He's trying to put our attention there and once again fool the people of South Australia.'

The government yesterday slammed Ms Redmond's reluctance to meet with mining giant BHP Billiton about its Olympic Dam project.

But Ms Redmond said the company has never approached her for a meeting, whereas she had already met with a lot of major mining companies at their request since she appointed as opposition leader.

'They (BHP) haven't requested a meeting with me, and in fact I think BHP is probably playing both sides,' she said.

'I'm more than happy to meet with them.'

Ms Redmond said the Liberal Party supported mining in the state but would not support a 40 per cent resources tax, as reported to be recommended in the Henry tax review.

Treasurer Kevin Foley on Monday said the government would wait to see the recommendations in the review before taking a firm stance.

Queensland and Western Australia have said they don't want the tax

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add RMG (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.