AUL 0.00% 28.5¢ austar gold limited

road and rail options mt m to mourilyan port, page-5

1. 3,267 Posts.
    denglish, you said..."Not practical to push rail through rich hilly Atherton Tablelands farming country with plenty of creeks/gullies ", the google map shows a rail line. Is it still existing? If it is, then that doesn't appear to be an issue. Last time I drove Mareeba- Atherton then down to Gordonvale, I didn't think the terrain looked impossible down to Gordonvale but well could be. But road transport could stack up. How did they transport the coal last time or was it all used at the old power station. I imagine if the Cairns area needs a new power station it would be gas fired , not coal.
    The comments about the problems with a Kuranda option are correct, the Kuranda line is not an option for the reasons stated.
    The inland to Karumba via Georgetown option has some merit. Looks about Mt surprise where the rail to the west leaves the development road and would need a new rail line from there to Croydon, upgrading of the Croydon to Normanton section and a new one to Karumba. Either that or truck it there. Plenty of spare land around the port facility.

How is all the ore mined around Mt Isa exported ?, Via trucks to Karumba or rail to Townsville? When you take into consideration the length of the rail to Cloncurry from Townsville, the length from Mt Surprise to Karumba and being down hill, it looks attractive.

While on the subject of new rail lines, the transport of the phosphate could be more economical if a new rail spur was built in partnership with MAK west to link with the Tennant Ck to Darwin line. It only looks about 130km. Given the large revenue suggested, a jv partner could fund such infrastructure in preference to a Mantle cap raising or debt. Does anyone know the approximate cost per km generally used as a guide for inland rail infrastructure projects?
    FMG's might give some idea.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AUL (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.