@aimone - et al, above @watso: as a former citizen of 'Vienna' I...

1. 17,964 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 149
    @aimone - et al, above @watso:

as a former citizen of 'Vienna' I do my chicken livers or any other liver (don't like lamb, so in the past calf liver) - in breadcrumbs -

clean your livers a bit, then dust in flour, have ready one whole egg - thoroughly stirred and turned into uniform liquid, (if you want to stretch it a bit, a drop of milk in it, even water is o.k.) - have ready some good quality bread crumbs ready spread on a sheet of paper or glad wrap
    dust livers in flour
    dip into egg-milk mix
    then roll in bread crumbs
    fry quickly - then salt and pepper -

eat with:

a nice - home-made potato salad, or just any salad done with a vinaigrette - the extra acid in the vinaigrette makes for a good taste combination.
    I even have done brains that way (not a fan, though) and something one cannot get in Australia, sweetbreads, which are totally delicious.

I also do large slices of bigger-sized mushrooms that way, also slices of Aubergine (who first need to be sprinkled with salt (then wiped) to take away their bitterness) - good substitute 'meat' for Vegetarians - in breadcrumbs and fried.
    I use sun-flower oil for frying - it has a high 'heating point' - i.e. you can heat it high enough for frying without the oil burning and turning toxic for human consumption. Lard is also good, but some people have dietary or religious objections to lard.

Alternative liver recipe:

For a quick fry-up; fry some finely sliced onions first in butter, or oil, or duck or lard - then quick-roast cut up livers in that - finish off with paprika, and a bit of genuine Italian tomato concentrate/sauce. Salt and Pepper - delish!!!

Gnocchi, home-made or from packet with that - especially if there is sufficient sauce!!!

P.S. I have a metal dispenser with holes in top for flour - makes above process real easy and less messy and also no waste.

@watso: Chicken livers are extra cheap - they come in bulk, don't look appetising - I usually clean and then wrap them in smaller portion sizes, then freeze them - also if making any meat stock - to cook a small amount of liver along, intensifies the taste and is not discernable. I also buy giblets for same purpose.
    As with all internal organ meats, don't eat lots of it, because we do not know how much in the way of inoculation etc. the living animal has had to process during its life-time and liver is the chemical factory of the body.
    I do believe that humans are extremely tough - when you look at the amount of abuse we - generally - deal out to our bodies in the way of
    alcohol,
    drugs,
    medication
    sugar etc. etc. etc. - confused.png
    wars . . . .
    Taurisksmile.png

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.