Robert G Barrett, page-11

1. 2,112 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 331
    Absolutely true! I have the book set (mid 90’s) and whilst RGB was alive he refused to entertain the posibility of turning it into a movie or series etc etc. because in his own words it would have been a difficult task. Sadly he’s spot on..

I don’t know what it really is, but there’s something lacking in the first two episodes. It may be “too literal” or something similar but it just doesn’t explain the larrikin element so prevalent in the books. The acting is fine, and working with budget constraints of our national broadcaster isn’t an issue - there’s just something else and it has to come down to the main character.. Bertrand is playing it “too dumb” for me. Les may have been initially naive, but not dumb. He always had an angle and took any opportunity when it arose and what about Billy??? He’s a wimp in this series - wasn’t he a former footballer and went toe to toe with Les during training etc... I actually hoped Ian Roberts was going to take that role when he was in the opening few minutes last week.

I will watch the series because I loved the books and the lack of anything decent on Sunday nights is astounding...

TC.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.