At first I thought that as usual, the government hired bad...

1. 461 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 21
    At first I thought that as usual, the government hired bad quality software developers which naturally led to bugs like incorrectly calculating debts and prematurely notifying debt collectors.

But now that I had a small amount of time to read through some of the hearing transcripts and exhibits, I realise that the issue was in the system design phase, not the software development phase. Even the best system analyst/architect would not have picked up on the issues - the client requirements did not align with legal foundations.

It turns out that the practical onus to establish that a debt exists, and to determine its size, remains with Centrelink, not the customer. The practice of calculating a debt based on assumed averages is not consistent with Centrelink's onus and so the algorithm was based on an unlawful process.
    Source:
    https://www.unswlawjournal.unsw.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/2018-1-CARNEY.pdf
    [This document was referenced by Exhibit 3-3497 - TCA.9999.0001.0007 - Terry Carney, 'Robo-debt illegality- The seven veils of failed guarantees of the rule of law-' (Alternative Law Journal)]

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.