rudd garbling over emissions trading

1. 23,528 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    This is an old comparision.

AAP

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd is worse at explaining emissions trading than former Liberal leader John Hewson was at explaining the GST, Liberal frontbencher Tony Abbott says.

"Listening to Kevin Rudd explain an emissions trading system was worse then listening to John Hewson explaining the GST on a birthday cake," Mr Abbott told Network Ten, on Sunday.

"And that's even before Kevin Rudd starts talking about how the flatulence of cows is going to be factored into his ETS."

The Liberal Party is to meet in Canberra this week to review its climate change policy, after weeks of mixed messages from senior Liberals.

Some Liberals say Australia should delay a genuine emissions trading scheme until the big emitters take action; others say Australia's scheme should begin regardless.

Mr Abbott, who has taken a cautious approach to emissions trading, said Australia should take account of what other nations did on climate change.

"I don't think anyone would say that we should do something which turns out to be costly and futile," Mr Abbott said.

"We'll have a good talk about this on Tuesday and Wednesday, it'll be our first chance to talk about it in the wake of Garnaut and the (government's) green paper.

"I think it'll be a good meeting, and I think that we will be stronger for it."

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.