AVZ 0.00% 78.0¢ avz minerals limited

Here is what I have gleaned from many different articles about...

1. 2,521 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2102
    Here is what I have gleaned from many different articles about Greenbushes dated over a long period of time. Some of the information is a little conflicting but you get the picture. You could and should consider that GB is the yardstick all others need to compare against as they have the best quality on the planet. It appears there is still plenty of life left in GB.

May 4, 2011
    The revised pit design will result in the C1, C2 and C3 pits being joined into one continuous pit over the life of mine, and the revised mining schedule will focus on mining in the C3 pit in the early years. Based on the revised processing schedule, during the next 5 years the average grade of lithium ore processed is expected to be above 3.3%Li2O.
    At the expanded production rate, the mine life will be extended by10 years to 22 years based on the lithium Mineral Reserves. The life of mine strip ratio will also improve from 2.2:1 to 1.2:1.
    The lithium Mineral Reserves were calculated based on a 2% Li2O cut-off grade and the costs and recoveries for the second stage expansion of the Greenbushes Lithium Operations
    The mining rate will increase to approximately 16 million bank cubic metres (Mbcm) as a result of the expansion producing an anticipated 9.5 million tonnes per annum (tpa) of spodumene ore. Processing of the ore will produce up to 2.3 million tonnes of lithium mineral concentrate. Lithium mineral concentrates from the operation will continue to be transported to the Ports of Bunbury and Fremantle (limited volumes) for export as per current arrangements, and will also supply the Tianqi Lithium Process Plant under construction in Kwinana, and the Albemarle Lithium Process Plant proposed for construction in the Kemerton Strategic Industrial Area north of Bunbury.
    The Proposal will create approximately 300 jobs during the construction phase, and will increase the number of employees for the operational phase from the current 220 people to approximately 650 when full production is reached. Talison will seek to employ locally, where possible, for the Mine. Staff are predominantly expected to be drawn from the nearby towns of Greenbushes, Balingup, Bridgetown and Donnybrook. Talison has an active presence in the community and has commenced consultation with stakeholders in relation to the expansion plans.

August 2018

Talison supplies about one third of global demand for lithium from Greenbushes
    More than 200 construction workers have been employed to build a chemical- grade lithium concentrate production facility and stand-alone crusher that will more than double Talison’s production capacity to about 1.340Mtpa of lithium mineral concentrate.
    Talison Lithium is planning for a $516 million second stage expansion of its Greenbushes mine in order to meet surging global demand for lithium products from battery and car makers. The expansion is on top of the current $320 million upgrade and would double Greenbushes production capacity to 2.3 million tonnes of lithium concentrate a year from 2021. Subject to the relevant approvals, the project is expected to add another 350 jobs to its local workforce. The planned two- stage rolling expansion would involve the development of two new processing plants, a new crusher, a bigger tailings dam and expanded waste dumps. The expansion will feed new value-adding WA lithium hydroxide plants being developed or planned by Tianqi and Albemarle. Tianqi is spending more than $700 million on an already-upgraded refinery in Kwinana, due on stream later this year, while Albemarle is looking at a similar plant for Kemerton, near Bunbury. Once Greenbushes is fully expanded, the Tianqi and Albemarle plants would take about 1.3 million tonnes of its 2.3 million tonnes of annual production, with the rest exported to China from expanded facilities in Bunbury.
    Albemarle Lithium Pty Ltd (Albemarle) is proposing to establish the Albemarle Kemerton Plant, a Lithium hydroxide product manufacturing plant and associated infrastructure, within the Kemerton Strategic Industrial Area (KSIA), approximately 17 kilometres north-east of Bunbury. The Albemarle Kemerton Plant will produce up to 100,000 tonne per annum (tpa) of lithium hydroxide monohydrate (Lithium Hydroxide Product) from five 20,000 tpa process trains and produce up to 1,100,000 tpa of tailings. The construction of these trains will be staged over the next 10 years with construction of the first trains planned to commence in 2018. The plant will process spodumene ore concentrate supplied from the Talison mine in Greenbushes, the biggest source of spodumene ore concentrate in the southern hemisphere.
    Plant will process spodumene or lithium mineral concentrate, through five process trains, to produce up to 100,000 tonnes of lithium hydroxide product and up to 200,000 tonnes of sodium sulfate by- product per year.
    August 2018

Talison currently has 509 employees, including contractors with the number expected to increase to 699 in 2019. By 2020 as the projected expansion continues to come on line, the workforce is expected to increase to more than 900. By 2023 the projected workforce is 1068 employees.
    JULY 2018
    The current Mine is concentrated to the east of Maranup Ford Road, west of South West Highway, and south of the town of Greenbushes. It is predominantly within State Forest 20, and located on top of part of the southern section of the Darling Scarp. The main ore body is orientated north- northwest to south-southeast and lies along a ridgeline that rises to approximately 320 m Australian Height Datum (AHD). The method of extraction is open-pit using drill and blast, and load and haul to remove the hard rock which is then subsequently crushed and processed. Extracted ore is processed through either a technical grade (TG) or chemical grade (CG) plant to produce a lithium mineral concentrate via predominantly gravity processing methods. Tailings from mineral processing are discharged into an above ground TSF.

Existing approval authorises three existing open pits C1, C2 and C3 to be combined and extended to a single pit approximately 2.8 km long by 750 m wide and 310 m deep.
    An expanded open pit will be developed which is approximately 2.8 km long, 1.0 km wide and up to 450 m deep(footprint of approximately 180 ha). The expanded open pit is predominately within already disturbed areas. The mining rate will increase to approximately 16 million bank cubic metres (Mbcm) producing an anticipated 9.5 Mtpa of spodeumene ore.
    The expansion will increase production at the Mine from the current 4.7 million tonne per annum (Mtpa) to 9.5 Mtpa of spodumene ore to produce up to 2.3 Mtpa of lithium mineral concentrate.
    The ore body is known to extend to over 500 m deep and is still open at this depth. The expanded pit only extends to 450m depth.

Talison Infrastructure TGP 0.4 Mt
    CGP1 1.9 Mt
    CGP2 2.4 Mt

Talison Crusher 1= 2.4 Mt Talison Crusher 2= 2.4 Mt
    Total capacity 4.7 Mtpa
    GAMG Infrastructure Primary Tantalum Plant 4.0 Mt
    Secondary Tantalum Plant

GAMG Crusher 4.0 Mt Total capacity 4.0 Mtpa
    1985, 1990, 1991, 1996 studies
    Very high-grade lithium zones occur in the Greenbushes pegmatite group with some zones returning above 5% Li202. The lithium zone is over 2 km long and enriched in the lithium-bearing mineral spodumene, which often makes up 50% of the rock and is particularly pure.

TABLE 1 – Greenbushes lithium Mineral resources estimate at 30 september 2015.
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4
    0 Mineral Resources
    Tonnage (Mt)
    Grade LiO2%
    Metal Mt LCE
    1 inferred resources
    2 indicated resources
    3 Measured resources
    4 total resources

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AVZ (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.