AVZ 0.00% 78.0¢ avz minerals limited

MIN's Wodinga could be a different beast today with MIN only...

1. 2,166 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 5800
    MIN's Wodinga could be a different beast today with MIN only holding 40% and ALB holding the other 60%. If MIN was in charge, I think the ramp up would of started much earlier and would of been more aggressive, especially in light of the collapse of the iron ore price now which makes their Fe operations likely unprofitable at present. However, if you read the restart announcement, there doesn't seem to be much urgency.

'MARBL expects Wodgina, which was placed on care and maintenance in November 2019 because of the then weak global market conditions, to be restarted to safely produce spodumene concentrate during the third quarter of 2022.

Wodgina, 120km south of Port Hedland has installed processing capacity of 750,000tpa of spodumene concentrate. The mine is serviced by its own 64MW gas-fired power plant, a 700-bed accommodation village and an airfield capable of landing A320 aircraft. Initially, MARBL will focus on restarting one of Wodgina’s three 250,000tpa processing lines.

When market demand is sufficient additional processing lines may be recommenced. The start-up and initial operating phase at Wodgina is expected to create 200 new full-time jobs.'

I'm wondering if ALB, with its 60% ownership, has little interest in selling to some Chinese converters who would ultimately be selling their product (hydroxide/carbonate) into ALB's market of interest. Instead, they might be wanting to feed the SC6 into their own future conversion lines including the new plant in Australia which isn't great for MIN right now.
    Last edited by Dr_Manhattan: 08/11/21

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AVZ (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.