AVZ 0.00% 78.0¢ avz minerals limited

Just on FIRB Just saw Miljew’s link to Ivanhoe Kamoa Kakula...

1. 416 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 676

Just on FIRB

Just saw Miljew’s link to Ivanhoe Kamoa Kakula presentation- they see themselves as a global company. Friedland trusts the Chinese partnership— surely they had many options? I see a lot of emphasis on ESGs.

Ericson, Based on precedent, if and when required, FIRB is unlikely to say yes to increased Chinese ownership because It’s been mandated by a National Interest test, that if say was reversed would just embolden China to punish Australia knowing it gets its way.

Specifically another reason is, Yibin know the content of the Treasurer’s preliminary view on executing what is likely a prohibition order and reasons why (hence why they retracted it)- they decided to not continue with their application for approval.

For a sovereign state to reverse its preliminary view would be politically humiliating considering the strategic valorisation of Manono as a threat, a huge threat to the policy of diversification of global supply chains considering growing scale of AVZ.

Based on this precedent set, the Chinese would not be taking this route again to likewise avoid humiliation and reputation damage publically. To take this route would also imply, a challenge to the authority of FIRB and Treasury’s resolve and judgment.

A further note to this, registering a company as domiciled in Australia does not bestow a loophole to conglomerate in a way to control or influence the AVZ Board with significant events. It always seeks the underlying relations and associations, and for that reason an ASIO figure heads the FIRB board. There is no deception by creating artificial structures to cloak underlying associations—if any intentions exists to do so.

Have the Chinese banked up in AVZ T20 to only realise later that they can invest but they can’t influence or even manage the company? Last I saw, Koreans via Samsung Asset Management Co., Ltd. own 10% of Ganfeng. This is no longer possible with AVZ. I think that’s quite clear, what is at stake to reverse that Treasury ‘view’ (FIRB is section of Treasury).

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AVZ (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.