I think that this move (reduction in import duty) by the Russian...

1. 481 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    I think that this move (reduction in import duty) by the Russian govt is an indication that the Russian sugar crop is going to be smaller ie they know there is a shrinking in the amount of land set aside for the Russian sugar crop. ie there are other more profitable crops. And thus are opening the door for sugar imports. Whether sugar prices fall by much in Russia is debateable. Sounds like a political point for the population. I guess their headline reads better than mine. "We are running out of sugar" :o) What are your thoughts yc?

http://www.kommersant.com/p-12540/r_528/sugar_imports/

Sugar Prices Will Fall This Summer
    Sugar prices in Russia will fall this summer when the seasonal import duty is reduced from $220 to $140 per ton. At the same time, imports, which fluctuated between 75,000 and 180,000 tons between May and December, are expected to jump to 400,000 to 700,000 tons. Prices for domestically produce sugar will fall simultaneously. The seasonal duty was imposed on December 1, 2007, to protect the domestic sugar industry. The Russian sugar industry has doubled in the last four years due to massive investments.
    Sugar prices will not fall immediately on June 1, since the raw sugar has to be cleared through customs, delivered to sugar plants, processed and shipped within Russia. The lower duty on sugar will also be counteracted by an 8-percent increase in railroad cargo rates. According to Rosstat, the state statistics service, the price of sugar rose 8.8 percent in the first four months of the year. It rose 2.1 percent between May 6 and 12.

In spite of the fact that the higher duty is in effect until the end of this month, sugar imports have already started to rise, almost tripling in April, compared to March, and reaching $68.9 million that month. That is because stores of sugar have run out after the fall in imports when the duty was imposed. Some sugar is imported into Russia after being processed in neighboring countries.
    www.kommersant.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.