That's just not true Jim and proves you gobbled the nonsense....

1. 10,522 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 566
    That's just not true Jim and proves you gobbled the nonsense. Here's the facts which you've obviously not looked at.

On May 12, 1996, then-ambassador Albright defended UN sanctions against Iraq on a 60 Minutes segment in which Lesley Stahl asked her, "We have heard that half a million children have died. I mean, that's more children than died in Hiroshima. And, you know, is the price worth it?" and Albright replied, "We think the price is worth it."[129][130] The segment won an Emmy Award.[131][132] Albright later criticized Stahl's segment as "amount[ing] to Iraqi propaganda", saying that her question was a loaded question.[133][134] She wrote, "I had fallen into a trap and said something I did not mean",[135] and that she regretted coming "across as cold-blooded and cruel".[129] She apologized for her remarks in a 2020 interview with The New York Times, calling them "totally stupid".[136][130]The exact effects of the sanctions on the civilian population of Iraq have been disputed.[137][138] Whereas it was widely argued that the sanctions more than doubled Iraq's child mortality rate in the 1990s and early 2000s, a 2017 study in the British Medical Journal of Global Health has argued that commonly cited data were fabricated by the Iraqi government and that "there was no major rise in child mortality in Iraq after 1990 and during the period of the sanctions".[139][140] Albright addressed the controversy at length in a 2020 memoir: "In fact, the producers of 60 Minutes were duped. Subsequent research has shown that Iraqi propagandists deceived international observers ... Per a 2017 article in the British Medical Journal of Global Health, the data 'were rigged to show a huge and sustained—and largely non-existent—rise in child mortality ... to heighten international concern and so get the international sanctions ended.' ... This is not to deny that UN sanctions contributed to hardships in Iraq or to say that my answer to Stahl's question wasn't a mistake. They did, and it was. ... U.S. policy throughout the 1990s was to prevent Iraq from reconstituting its most dangerous weapons programs. Short of another war, UN sanctions were the best means for doing so."[141]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeleine_Albright

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.