Russia Ukraine war, page-222133

1. 8,168 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 14
    Some interesting info regarding Belgian F-16 'generosity'.
    • Today the Belgians presented the F-16 aircraft, which they will be the first to transfer to Ukraine.
    • I am always interested in details, and therefore I wondered what this very aircraft with tail number FA-121 of the Belgian Air Force was like.
    • To begin with, why Belgium? Everything is simple here. It was Belgium that was the first NATO country to purchase these vehicles from the United States. The contract was awarded in 1979, and deliveries took place in the 1980s. Moreover, they were built in Belgium itself from kits supplied from the USA.
    • At the same time, 160 units were initially purchased. Then everything is as usual. The most worn-out aircraft were written off, and the rest continued to bear the burden of service.
    • Therefore, starting from the 1990s, the fleet of these vehicles in the Belgian Air Force gradually decreased to 105 units. Then in the 2000s [down] to 72, and now there are 54 left.
    • That is, the planes themselves are now about 40 years old. And their flight life is already running out. And in Belgium, a decision has long been made to replace them with the F-35, which have just begun to enter service with their Air Force. This means that the Belgians dispose of them very cheaply through Ukraine, gaining political points.
    • Moreover, the combat capabilities of an aircraft today are determined not by the airframe itself, but by the filling. The newer it is, the better the plane. Belgian aircraft initially came in the very first version of the so-called. Block-20 (developed in 1980). Then these aircraft were modernized in the 90s, but today they are already hopelessly outdated as fighters. But as carriers of air-to-ground missiles, whose task is to fly up, launch and escape unnoticed, it is quite suitable.
    • I think no one expects anything more from them (a la conducting air battles with Russian modern fighters).
    [unknown via Itapirk...]
    (info generally seems legit as per www.kleinebrogelairbase.be/index.php/en/organisation/weaponsystem-f-16)
    Last edited by Okceg: 30/05/24

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.