Russia Ukraine war, page-233871

1. 39,443 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 506

Captured Russian soldier says he volunteered for war in order to defect

The soldier, using the callsign Silver, spoke in an interview with the "I Want to Live" Project, a scheme run by Ukranian intelligence for Russian soldiers wishing to defect and avoid fighting in the war.

In the interview, released by the project on social media, Silver describes how he signed up to join the Russian Armed Forces so that he could reach the front lines, where he planned to defect to the Freedom of Russia Legion.

The "I Want to Live" Project said that Silver was assigned to one of the "suicide units," and that "during his service there, he saw enough of all the 'delights' of the Russian army: complete lawlessness, devaluation of human life, lack of training, lack of supplies, sadistic commanders, general resets for the slightest offence."

In the interview, the 24-year-old said that he hopes to outlive Russian President Vladimir Putin, saying: "I was immediately removed from civilian life. It's strange to say, but it's safe for me to be in Ukraine now. I was born, grew up, and worked under Putin. I want to at least die without him."

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.