Russia Ukraine war, page-78625

1. 2,709 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 289

> biggest country in the world with all that oil and gas and straddling two continents but still much less than half the GDP of Germany !

The real question is GDP to debt ratio.

Germany is doing quite well now all things considering (thanks cheap Russian gas, right?)
    Sitting around 69%

India is around 85%, china around 80%, the US is sitting at around 130%, Venezuela about 300%.

Turkey around 39%, holland around 48%

Consider for a moment all of these countries, where goods you purchase may come from, and how that might relate to their internal economic growth.

Turkey makes a surprising array of goods exported internationally. Holland is one of the largest producers of agricultural products.

Russia is at 15% GDP to debt.
    It appears to me that they are much more conservative when it comes to banking and lending in comparison to most other countries.
    Russia also seems to make it a policy priority to keep this figure low. I suspect, and I'm no expert, that the complete collapse of their entire economy in the 1990's has been, ya know, a lesson learned.

A lot of anti-Putin internal Russian criticism I hear tends towards being that he won't simply allow a bunch of money to be lent to "improve" infrastructure to the same extent they do in the West, or even in China to a degree. But I don't know. Every other country tends to do it, does it necessarily lead to good outcomes? Or does the extra debt require a large government/ tax burden to collect?

Russians only pay about 15% income tax, with 20 percent VAT, lowered to 10% for food and essentials. Government, therefore, is smaller. Look at your own tax burden.

Do you think its bad policy making to borrow heavily to "improve" things today? Why?

>putins robbery and failures
    Can you name some of them, particularly the robberies? That's interesting.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.