Rwanda's disappearing dissidentsKizito Mihigo, 2020...died under...

1. 1,727 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6
    Rwanda's disappearing dissidents

Kizito Mihigo, 2020
    ...died under suspicious circumstances in police custody...days before his arrest, he reported to Human Rights Watch that he was being threatened.

Anselme Mutuyimana, 2019
    ...found dead in the woods

Jean Damascene Habarugira, 2017
    ...disappeared

Illuminee Iragena, 2016
    ...went missing in 2016, and has not been seen since

Patrick Karegeya, 2014
    ...found dead in a hotel room in South Africa

Theogene Turatsinze, 2012
    ...found dead in 2012 in a river near Maputo, days after he went missing

Charles Ingabire, 2011
    ...shot and killed in Uganda, where he lived as a political refugee.

Andre Kagwa Rwisereka, 2010
    ...found murdered and partially beheaded

Jean-Leonard Rugambage, 2010
    ...shot dead

Seth Sendashonga, 1998 
    ...survived an attempt on his life while in exile in Kenya, but was subsequently killed by unknown gunmen in 1998.

Theoneste Lizinde, 1996
    found dead in Nairobi, Kenya, in 1996.

https://www.dw.com/en/rwanda-the-mysterious-deaths-of-political-opponents/a-59182275

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/6083/6083667-ea63ed6519c6e5d3a53c776d9cf50574.jpg
    At the time of the interview, Ingabire was the leader of the FDU-Inkingi opposition party.

"I was in prison and spent eight years [there], and when I was released, I thought the government of Rwanda was ready to open up the political space. But one month later, our vice president disappeared. Four months later, my assistant was killed. In July, our representative in [an] eastern province disappeared; yesterday, our national coordinator was murdered," Ingabira said in a 2020 interview with DW.

Although Ingabire did not blame President Kagame for the murder of her party members, she said the killings were politically motivated, and warned that many more would die under the regime she described as a dictatorship.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.